Cornell notes template is used by the students to improve their listening and studying skills. It is also known as the Cornell note-taking system. From this particular system, students can get the most from the lectures. These notes are usually used by college and higher secondary school students. In addition, some students use the Cornell notes template to save their time in designing these notes. Also, with the template, they can create notes more effectively.
History of the Cornell Notes:
Walter Pauk, a professor of education at the Cornell University, invented the Cornell method of note-taking in 1940. He also mentioned the use of this particular method in his book “How to Study in College”. If you want to know more details about the Cornell notes then you can read this book.
Basic Format of Cornell Notes:
Firstly, divides the page by drawing a horizontal line which is 2 inches from the bottom of the page. Then, draw a vertical line that is 2.5 inches would be at the left-hand side. On the right-hand side, you can take the notes while on the left-hand side you can write the questions that will come to your mind during the lecture. You can write the summary of the lecture at the bottom of the page.
Effectiveness of the Cornell Notes:
We all know that the not-taking is part of the school and college syllabus. The main purpose of this method is to make the process of note-taking during the lecture easier for the students. By using Cornell notes, students can recall the lecture quite well in the future. They are designed in such a way that it becomes easy for the students to jot down the notes. Moreover, there are separate columns to note the main points of the lecture and for the questions. Hence, we can say that these notes assist the students in improving their listening skills. Also, it is more effective to use templates.
Tips for taking Cornell Notes:
Let us discuss some tips that you have to keep in mind while taking the notes;
- Most importantly, when taking the notes listen to the lecturer carefully instead of writing them without listening.
- Keep in mind that taking notes and highlighting the text are two different things. During taking notes, you have to summarize the key points of the lecture and note them.
- Next, don’t write each and every detail of the lecture. Just note down the key points and it is important to write on a specific topic when taking notes.
- Once you have done it, review the notes completely.
- At the top of the page, don’t forget to mention the name of the course and the date.
In conclusion, the Cornell notes assist the students to organize their thoughts, listen more attentively, and take notes much faster. Use the Cornell notes template is quite helpful because it is easy to print and as it is black and white it wouldn’t be costly.